Recently my backyard is full of giant green leafs from winter melons. We planted a few seeds and forgot about them. After we came back from a month long vacation, our tomatoes, green peppers are in great danger. But these melons just keep growing!
Back in July, we only saw one melon. We were excited for the one melon that we can eat. But now, it grows about ten of them.
|Winter melon Quick Facts|
|Major nutrients||Dietary Fiber (10.00%) Sodium (9.80%) Zinc (7.36%) Iron (6.63%) Vitamin B1 (4.42%) Phosphorus (3.57%)|
|Health benefits||Prevents migraines, Eye health, Digestive health, Heart health,Reduce stroke,
How to Eat
Winter melon could be added to the stir-fries by steaming, simmering, parboiled or braised. It is also added with strong herbs and spices to the soups. It could be candied or diced.
- making meat ball：Combine ground pork, minced ginger, cooking wine, light soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and egg white in a small bowl, mix well. …
- Prepare winter melon: cut out of skin, cut into small pieces.
- Add pork broth to a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. …
- Transfer the winter melon to the pot. …
- Add meatballs back into the soup. …
- Add cilantro to the soup and serve warm.
Note：substitute meatball with Ham, or Chinese styles ham.
I really enjoy my winter melons. It fits well with my detox journey!